Saturday, July 4, 2009

Mindful communication

Mindful communication according to the book is "as mental and relational activity that is both purposeful and strategic". This form of communication takes conversation from a script to a communication where both people are invested. Mindful communication is also an important element of authenticism. To be authentic we must use our minds to communicate.

There have been many times when a customer service representative has gone through the motions. As a customer in this type of situation I can see that the employee is beign inauthentic. The "thank you for shopping" is an example of mindless communication. As a customer I apprecuiate the employee who uses mindful communoication and addresses my specific needs rather tham using a predetermined set of answers and communciation interaction. Minful communoication allows the people to be engaged and feel that th eprson with whom they are talking are actually viewing them as an individual.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your point about salespeople who are actually authentic and invested in your shopping experience. Recently, I bought a pair of jeans (and spent way too much money on them btw!) at Nordstrom, and the salesgirl was very attentive. She even sent me a thank-you letter and said that she hoped I liked the jeans and that they would be perfect to tuck into my Uggs. The fact that she remembered what I was buying the jeans for really meant a lot to me as a consumer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate feeling like I recite the same script over and over again at work. Waiting tables it's easy to fall into that routine. Things like, "Have you made your selections?" and, "Would you like to see the dessert menu?" are said more times than I care to count over the course of a shift, however, I make as much of an effort as I can to remain authentic with my customers. I like to take the time to talk with them and find out what they like so I can make a good suggestion. Sometimes I can learn what brought them into the restaurant such as a special occasion or they are on their way to see a movie, and I can personalize their experience by making conversation with them instead of just taking orders.

    ReplyDelete