Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Openess

In chapter 9 the author writes about open communication. This style of communication is in a relationship where you "perceive the other interactant as a willing and receptive listener and refrain from responses that might be perceived as providing negative relational or disconfirming feedback (287)." This type of communication includes both verbal and nomverbal communication. When using this type of communication it allows the people to communicate without feeling as though assumptiojns have already been made.

One study showed the positive affects of this style of communication on employee supervisor relationship. Things that might represent this relationship were things like supervisor enjoyed talking to employees, supervisor thought communication was important, and supervisors persuade instewad of demand.

I can see this style of communication in my own workplace. Very rarely does my boss tell me what to do. He asks if I have done something. i think this allows for me to say yes I already have done x or no I have not and thanks for the reminder. Also my boss talks about his family and his own experiences in the job so I feel like I know him as a person as well as my boss.

2 comments:

  1. I think is you have openess in communication then you become an active listner. Active listners go futher in organizations.A lot of times noneverbal and verbal communication can still display bad feelings. Just for instance, at work when im talking to one of the kids about something they may have done wrong, they may have their arms crossed and give me no eye contact. At that time im assumming that they dont want to listen to anything i have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your post about open communication. Giving subordinates and members of organizations the freedom to fell that they can openly communicate is an effective way to make dure everything positive and negtive is out on the table. It make day to day tasks more smooth in terms of nobody feeling liek they cannot openly voive their opinions about a given matter. This also makes communicaiton a positive and comforting subject which in turn gives members more confidence.

    ReplyDelete